ZUTPHEN – 8 to 12 July 2020
This summer, the Five Day – Summer Academy Zutphen will take place again! Five days full of masterclasses, workshops and concerts throughout the medieval city of Zutphen in the Netherlands.
This edition the theme will be “England, O Fairest Isle!”
Nineteen prominent musicians from all over the world have committed themselves to come and teach at the 2020 edition.
For five days in a row they will be teaching and performing in the unique and memorable setting of Hanseatic Zutphen.
The Summer Academy Zutphen offers professional musicians, students and advanced amateur musicians the opportunity to receive lessons from musicians who specialize in historically informed performance practice and to work on technique and interpretation on their own instrument or with their voice in that specific style.
Professionals and students, but also duos and small ensembles, will each receive a minimum of three individual coaching sessions in a Masterclass-setting. In addition they can join in Bruno Nunlist’s Zen morning practice (obligatory for singers).
Each afternoon there are ensemble coaching sessions to attend, along with various workshops and lectures. Singers can join an extra song or opera workshop. And all participants will be able to perform regularly in one of the many scheduled concerts, sometimes alongside the Masters.
Free up & Play • Mieke Wouters (B)
Quality practice • Susan Williams (AU)
Intonation • Klaas Stok
17th Century Song Class • Fred Jacobs
19th Century Fortepiano Song Class • Jasper Schweppe and Paul Komen
Opera workshop Dido & Aeneas • Gusta Teengs Gerritsen
Amateur participants receive a minimum of two individual lessons and can take part in all the workshops and song classes mentioned above. In addition there is the opportunity to sing in the ZAZ Festival Choir which will give several performances during the festival week. Men especially are welcome!
Daily Schedule (example)
8.00 – 9.00 Zen session with Bruno von Nünlist
9.30 – 12.00 Masterclasses/ workshop Free up & Play
12.30 – 13.15 Lunchconcert
13.30 – 17.30 Workshops & Ensemble coaching
16.00 – 16.45 Lecture-concert
20.00 – 21.30 Evening concert
22.30 – 23.00 ‘Good night’ concert
And of course participants are also welcome to attend other concerts in the festival; some concerts (such as the lecture concerts) are held in intimate settings, and space could be limited.
Professional musician € 425 (€ 514,25 incl. VAT)
Conservatory student € 265 (€ 320,65 incl. VAT)
Amateur musician € 350 (€423, 50 incl. VAT)
Duo € 500 (€ 605 incl. VAT)
Ensemble € 600 (€ 726,- incl. VAT )
Down payment € 125,-
Lunch, dinner, coffee and tea are included.
We have information on funds where you can request a support as a participant. Accomodation is not included, but a list of affordable addresses can be provided. For further information contact Tineke Haveman, email@example.com.
Are you part of a duo or ensemble? If so, then one person only need to register here and pay on behalf of the others. During registration please name the other members of your ensemble and any instruments played.
If you do not choose to pay the entire amount upfront we ask you to make a first down payment of €125 please, to secure your registration; the remainder of the fees due need to be paid by May 31st. In the event of a student cancelling within 30 days before the start of the Academy, the deposit can not be refunded.
- Included in the price :
- masterclasses with your chosen teacher .
- professionals and music students each receive a minimum of three individual sessions within the masterclass with your chosen teacher (focus on authentic historical performance practice).
- amateurs each receive a minimum of two individual sessions in the masterclass and can also participate in all the workshops and song classes.
- Bruno Nunlist’s Zen morning ritual (obligatroy for singers)
- Afternoon ensemble coaching for all, alongside various workshops, lectures, chamber music classes, song and opera classes.
- All participants can choose to follow workshops with Mieke Wouters, Susan Williams or Klaas Stok.
- Intonation class with Klaas Stok on Saturday (especially recommended for singers).
- Lunches and evening meals.
- Sheet music for the ensemble projects.
- Admission to all concerts (subject to space restrictions).
Not included in the price:
- Breakfast, accommodation, music for (solo) classes